7.05.2015

Day 51: Kissing Camels

When I was a kid, we would drive to the Provo/Orem area in Utah every year to see my grandparents. As we were driving in, my dad would always point out the lovely Mount Timpanogos.

source

He would tell stories of hiking it with my older brothers when they were small, and he would tell us of the folklore surrounding this majestic mountain. The one I liked best involved a Native American princess and her love story. Then, as we whizzed past on the freeway, he would say, "See! See it!? You can see the outline of the princess along the top of Timpanogos!" From the back of the crowded twinkie van or suburban because, yes, I was always in the back, I would concentrate on that outline, and you know what? I still have yet to see that outline.

Can you see it?

Well, in Colorado Springs, we have a much simpler outline at Garden of the Gods. It's called Kissing Camels, and we point it out to the girls every time we go. I am always reminded of my dad when we walk along the cement path while the girls zip along on their scooters, "See it?! See it, girls? Do you see the two kissing camels?"

source

Aren't they lovely? This, of course, is not my photography. Here is mine:


This is the angle we see the camels from our walks, but the other shot is how we see them every time we drive to and from school.

I'm headed to Utah in a couple of weeks, and you can bet I'll tell the girls the stories of Timpanogos and pretend I can see the outline of the beautiful princess and can they see it to?

It's the little things, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment